Some Things Never Change



I brought a good chunk of my finery back up here with me after winter break. Guess where it's sitting? If you guessed my closet, you'd be 100% correct. It's not that I don't want to wear it. It's not that I'm afraid of people reacting strangely. It's not that I just want to fit in and be invisible.....

St. Cloud makes me a really lazy person. I'll admit it. When it comes down to it, when I get up at 7:00 am the last thing I want to do is make sure my petticoat is fluffy enough and that my eyeliner is even. Mostly I just want to throw on some clothing, grab coffee, and survive the day. Mostly. 

It doesn't help that it's been COLD AS FUCK pretty much all week. We're well below freezing here and bordering on "frostbite in seconds" territory. It kind of blows, but right now my entire focus has been on layering up to stay really really warm and not much else. 

And then there's the added perk of coming down with something like a really bad cold. I get back from campus and crawl into my warmest pajamas before cozy-ing up here in front of my PC with some hot tea. I've already got homework to deal with too.

Maybe when it warms up a tad bit (like four months from now...) I'll dress up around campus again. Maybe when I get used to waking up super early and not feeling like death I'll dress up again. Maybe one day I won't let this place turn me into something I don't like.



The funny thing is, all the people I've talked to over various forums have told me that the more you dress up and stuff around people, the more they're drawn to you. Especially if you're friendly about it. They ask questions, compliment you, you become kind of notorious (but in a good way) for your style. It doesn't sound so bad, right?

I just need to get out of my rut, I suppose. 

And damn you, Minnesota! Hurry up and warm up. I'm sick of winter.

Comments

  1. I think the people you've spoken to online are right - I'm oddly famous because of my style. People come say hi to me in bars what were in a lecture I took 2 years ago, they remember me, even if I never noticed them (hard to notice everyone with 100 people in the room), but then they approach me and I can get to know them. I didn't even wear my most OTT stuff to uni either, just looked a bit more put together than most people in their UGGs and PJs =P

    It is really hard to make yourself dress up when it's cold - I'm in the exact same rut! My office is so cold that even when I wear Docs with 2 pairs of thick socks, thermal leggings or tights under jeans, a vest, top, jumper, scarf and gloves, I can't feel my feet or fingers! Instead I dress up on days when I don't have to go to work and will be mostly indoors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's usually what I do as well. I often save my dressing up for when I'll be home on the weekends and able to lounge around with a cup of tea and my kitten!

      Delete
    2. I do the opposite, when I'm at home I'm constantly in my pyjamas. I only dress up when I have to, like work, and I usually plan my outfits the night before so I don't have to worry about details in the morning.

      Delete
  2. I'm sick of winter too, for the same reasons :/ I'd like to wear my tutus and my heels and my corsets but when I take a step outside the door I realize that my body's asking for warm wool cardigans and boots. Since I catch colds very easily, I just repeat to myself that I'm going to wear all my amazing clothes in the spring. Oh, I hate my winter outfits T_T!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts