Goals for 2018



I'll start this off by saying I am not the type to make New Years Resolutions. A person used to be able to cajole me into it when I was younger and I would offer up the obligatory "get healthier" or "be more social" or even, "learn a new skill" but the problem with that was...I wasn't invested in any of those things. And they were most definitely too vague.

What did I mean by get healthier?

Why should I be more social? I'm a happy introvert!

A new skill? Which one and how?

So I don't make resolutions anymore. And neither should you.

Instead, I set goals for myself - things I want to achieve by the end of the next year and I create steps to reach those goals. So what's on the docket this year? Let's see:

1.) Learn to play at least one Lindsey Stirling song on my violin. You see, last year I bought myself a cheap violin off Ebay as an incentive for me to finally learn how to play. But violins are loud and when you are a novice they are loud and screechy. I live in an apartment building and I'm sure I already annoy my neighbors enough. So I kind of...gave up. What changed? Well, my awesome significant other has listened to me yammer on and on about how cool electric violins are, so he got me a refurbished one for the holidays. Yes, it needs some work and no, it's not the most high quality - but! It's battery operated and has a headphone jack input.

This means, I can learn and play to my heart's content without worrying about bothering any of my neighbors. I'm the only one that has to put up with my amateur screeching now!


2.) Commit to finishing my manuscript. I've always fancied myself a writer. And I always tell myself I'll make time to write, really! And then I don't by justifying other chunks of time as "research" - yes, maybe binge watching twelve episodes of Ghost Adventures really will be beneficial to my haunted house storyline, but only if I actually commit to using that material in a timely enough fashion.

So this year I intend to make a plan that has a two-step approach. Research activities followed immediately by writing down or incorporating that research. No more of this passing out on the couch and telling myself I'll remember how Zak Bagan's reacted so that one spirit touching his arm....


3.) Develop a regular yoga routine. I guess this one kind of follows the whole 'get healthy' theme, but it's more manageable and specific. I like yoga. I used to be kind of good at yoga. And it suits my introvert tendencies to stay at home - I can easily craft an at-home yoga workout to be performed in the comfort of my own living room and there are so many videos on Youtube that I have no reason not to take advantage of the situation.

So I'll make it even more manageable and start with getting myself comfortable with stretching and easy poses and slowly work up to more difficult or muscle straining ones. Three-legged down dog? Here I come!


Do you have any goals or resolutions for 2018?

Comments

  1. I like the idea of choosing goals rather than making resolutions. You chose some excellent and admirable goals for 2018! I'm sure your violin playing and yoga prowess will both improve, and progress on your manuscript will be a nice accomplishment.
    The list of resolutions I was considering is very, very, very long (it's essentially everything on my ever-growing to-do list). Maybe it will seem less daunting if I think of them all as goals.

    http://www.full-brief-panties.blogspot.com/2017/10/lingerie-review-of-full-brief-panties.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Learning to play a Lindsey Sterling song would be amazing! I love her. If you want to know a bit more on how to achieve your 2018 goals, please check out my blog. www.mildlymoody.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindsey Sterling is so cool, that would be awesome! I definitely just want to slow down, be more present, drink less alcohol, meditate more, things like that- a lot of self care goals this year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts