BIRCHBOX July 2018 Unboxing + Review


When the concept of beauty subscriptions first crossed into my awareness, I was honestly torn between Birchbox and Ipsy - there were pros and cons for both. At the time, I was looking to beef up my makeup stash so I initially settled on Ipsy and that was a good run while it lasted (I'll be getting my last bag with them in August) but then they had their anti-trans snafu during Pride Month and I couldn't, in good conscience, stick with 'em.

So a couple of coworkers tell me how much they like Birchbox and that I should give it a go if I'm more into hair and skincare products these days. Which I am. So here we are:




The contents of my July Box includeOribe Après Beach Wave and Shine SprayM·A·C Cosmetics Strobe CreamARROW REVITALIZE Undereye Brightening SerumVasanti® Makeup Magnet WipesEyeko Brow Liner



Oribe is one of those brands that is both beloved by hair stylists and too expensive to justify, especially since I rarely do any styling to my hair. However, I've been really into braiding my hair to get nice, loose waves and this product might be great supplement to that. Helps that it smells fantastic! 


I'll be real: I'm not a huge fan of MAC. Maybe if they were vegan or cruelty-free....nonetheless, I'm intrigued by the idea of a moisturizer that promises to make my skin look like I just strolled on the set of a high-fashion photo shoot. 


So I have CHRONIC dark under-eye circles. And it's hereditary, coupled with prominent and deep-set eyes. I always look like a zombie, even on a good day. So I was skeptical of this product - then I swiped some on. I would gladly pay $18 for a full size version.


I'm a lazy girl at heart - I love the ease of makeup wipes and the cool science behind micellar technology - combined? This might be a go-to to keep in my purse, to be honest. 


I am a devotee of the clear brow gel - my brows tend to be low maintenance and natural looking. I pluck them once a month, if that. But....I do have a couple of areas that look a little sparse without being filled it and this liner worked just a smidge better than my current e.l.f. brow pencil. Jury's still out, but I'm gonna give a try. 

*****

Oh, and as a sign-up gift I selected this high beam highlighter from benefit cosmetics, another brand that I love that rarely justify spending money on. All my previous highlighters have been pressed powder, so I'm excited to try a cream.



Have you ever used a beauty subscription service? What was your experience like?

Comments

  1. I've looked at a few beauty subscription services before, but never ended up taking the plunge. I always felt like I'd be likely to get too few products that I actually need.

    Kathrin | Polar Bear Style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear that, I do sometimes get things I couldn't see myself using but I'm always happy to pass them on to someone who might! Sample size items make for great gifts!

      Delete
  2. I subscribe to Glossybox. The make up brands are either new launches or low brands. But I think they are ok. I get a lot of make up. Sometimes really cool colours and sometimes awful. But that is what surprise boxes are like. I give products that doesn't suit me to my step daughter or my niece. The birch box seems intruiging.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts