When Shameful Memories Ruin Your Day



When I was about 19 and Livejournal was still a thing, I was part of a community on there called "Bad Makeup" - yeah, it's pretty much what it sounds like. A group of self-proclaimed makeup gurus and enthusiasts that got their jollies posting photos of people with either poorly applied makeup or whatever they considered "bad" and then mocking them mercilessly for it. And we're not just talking about celebrities or public figures with makeup mishaps - these were their friends, family members, random strangers on the internet and even each other that they were cruelly targeting.

Why I was a member in such a group, I don't know. I think it was fear of becoming one of their targets while I was young and experimenting with makeup. I think perhaps I always wanted to feel a sense of superiority over other people in some way...

Anywho, I had finally gotten up the nerve to make a post of my own. I thought I would share a few photos of a previous friend group that was kind of alternative - so there were plenty of examples of unblended black eye shadow and ICP-style corpse paint to go around. Didn't provide any names, just mentioned these were people I used to know...

And I'm not sure what specifically prompted this particular group to dig into MY personal Livejournal or go scouring the internet for any photos or videos of me, but they did. And my post exploded with comments of them mocking the neon dreadlocks I wore for a party once, of them cruelly laughing at some photos where I was experimenting with purple eye shadow (and I had even acknowledged that it wasn't a good look) and finally, picking at my hair, my clothes, and then a post I had written years prior about depression.

It felt awful, to have a community I wanted to be a part of turn on me so viciously and without warning. It felt so shameful to have entire posts about my personal struggle with mental illness put on display in "quotes" in the comments section - and then have comments like "You look suicidal, why else would someone wear that if they didn't want to die? Just do it already."

This was back in 2007. It took me half a decade to finally feel safe enough to put on makeup and wear it in public. No joke. And I still, to this day, feel absolutely hideous with winged eyeliner or a visible lip color. I'm just so....certain....that people are mocking me behind my back for daring to even try.

I'm trying not to care. I'm trying not to let that bother me.

But I was considering wearing lipstick this morning. And those memories, however unbidden, came flooding back and I left the house with only SPF. Better to be my brand of ugly than someone else's.


Comments

  1. Awww that's awful but it's nice that you have a positive look on this.

    Much Love,
    Jane | The Bandwagon Chic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm certainly trying to see the bright side!

      Delete
  2. It's an awful thing to have happen to you. I hope that in time, things will fade enough not to bother you anymore.

    Kathrin | Polar Bear Style

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg! I feel for you friend! This is the bad side of social media/online groups I guess. And that bullying can be present anywhere! When I was younger (like 11 I think) I put my hair up in a high ponytail and a girl I went to school with came up to me and said I looked like a hooker. I was shocked and ashamed! I never did my hair that way again. But there was NOTHING wrong with my hair. I had no makeup on and wore the school uniform. This person just made me feel little and I let it happen. Today, I remember it and I would still feel shamed. It's sad, but girls really should start being nice to each other once and for all. Because words really can hurt others. Hugs and I hope you fill your days not with these types of people.


    Carina
    https://theagelessmillennial.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts