What I've Been Watching - Netflix Edition



I promise this is going to throw 90% of you for a loop, but for those 10% who get me - you won't be surprised at anything on this list. Without further ado, these are the five most recent Netflix series I've been bingeing.

1. A Korean Odyssey


Quite possibly the 1,000th retelling of the Chinese novel Journey to the West (or Xiyou Ji), A Korean Odyssey follows monkey king Son O-gong's trials as he attempts regain his rightful place in the heavens. On earth and imprisoned, he comes across Samjang - a human chosen by the gods to save the world. At first he wants to eat her, but with the help of a magic bracelet that makes him fall in love with her, the two slowly agree to team up to deal with the supernatural forces threatening to destroy it all.

I love modern retellings that put their own cultural spin on the story, and this did not disappoint! It honestly had everything - from ancient feuds, k-pop stars that are actually monsters, cute zombies, and a tearjerker ending. 9/10 - would recommend.

2. The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Season Two


I pretty much devoured the first season of Sabrina when it came out last October and so naturally, I was excited to see that season two dropped earlier last month. For the uninitiated, this is also a reboot of the '90s Sabrina the Teenage Witch, but with a much darker and more Satanic twist.

Sabrina is a half-witch living with her two magical aunts and cousin - and now that her sixteenth birthday has come and gone, leaving her no choice but to sign her name in the Devil's book - Sabrina appears to be embracing her witchy side and cutting ties with her mortal friends in favor of all the dark arts may have to offer.

I'm only a few episodes in, but it will be really interesting to see how her character changes now.

3. Possessed


OCN is probably my favorite network regarding K-dramas and when I heard that Possessed was an OCN original...couldn't resist, mate. OCN is known for dramas that are dark, gritty, and feature a lot of bleak realism with a couple of supernatural shenanigans tossed in for good measure.

Possessed is the story of violent serial killer Hwang Dae Du, who is caught and executed in 1995 after slaying over thirty people. Years later, a devoted copycat killer uses a shaman to resurrect Hwang Dae Du's soul - who then uses the new host body to continue his killing spree. It's up to loser detective Kang Pil-Seong and reluctant psychic Hong Seo Jung to put a stop to him, otherwise the gates of hell will open.

Unpopular opinion: Hwang Dae Du is probably the best character in the show, no matter who's body he's inhabiting. Secretly rooting for someone to save this poor guy's soul though.

4. iZombie


This is an old FX series, I believe, and I used to catch the odd episode here or there. When I noticed that Netflix had added it to the lineup, it was time to start from the beginning.

Liv Moore is a workaholic medical resident who spends most of her time examining dead people. When a zombie attack at a party leaves her among the ranks of the undead, she must do everything possible to blend in and resist the temptation to eat people. Good thing she's got a buffet of corpses in her workplace!

5. Paranormal Survivor


No good Netflix roundup is complete without at least one reality tv series and my top pick is Paranormal Survivor. I love hearing other people's ghost stories and so these types of shows are my favorite for mindless tv watching.

At least it's not Ghost Adventures, amiright?!





What are your favorite Netflix series right now? If you don't have Netflix, tell me what streaming service you use or what your all-time favorite show to binge is!

Comments

  1. I'm currently on Jane the virgin. But I also love the ranch and life in pieces! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane the Virgin sounds really interesting - I should probably check it out!

      Delete
  2. I personally am holding out for the next season of Stranger Things on Netflix. Until then I will definitely be checking these out to keep me occupied! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you believe I've never seen Stranger Things? People keep recommending it to me, but I feel like I'd need a full week to binge-watch it in order to get caught up!

      Delete
  3. Oooh, I love Sabrina and I used to really like iZombie until the last two seasons. These are great shows.

    Kathrin | Polar Bear Style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm only on Season 2 of iZombie right now but her stupid drama with Major and their on again/off again relationship is kind of getting tiring.

      I want to see more of Blaine - he's interesting!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts