The Fall Trends I'm Loving This Year



To be honest, I'm not really one to stay ahead of the sartorial curve - I like what I like and you're gonna have a hard time convincing me otherwise - but Fall Fashion Week always piques my curiosity. You see, some of the same trends always make it back into the rotation and maybe this time there's a new spin on it. But then you see things that are completely unexpected...like this year's new "it" color.

The Fall Trends I'm Loving This Year


Gothic Romance


Goth slinks its way back in the fall scene year after year and each time I do a little bit of a happy dance because I love seeing my favorite fashion in every single store from late August to the end of October.

This year, it's all about pairing dark pieces with romantic silhouettes - think ruffly skirts and dresses with Doc Martens. Gorgeous lace with chains and spikes. Hard and soft, together in one of the most magical combinations....


Monochrome Pistachio


I love purple. I love red. Sometimes even orange. But I don't usually like those colors on me. Enter "pistachio" - a green hue that's not quite sea foam and not quite sage but is both light and dusty enough to play nice with my pale Irish skin.

Seeing this color as a monochrome look makes me really wish I hadn't donated a particularly hard to style dress I once owned, but knowing pistachio items will be cropping up more makes me really happy.


All  Over Knits


The rule of thumb with this trend, apparently, is layering. A knit bralette over a knit sweater over a knit skirt...you get the idea. But unless winter hits early this year, I'm not sure it'll be quite cold enough to layer up with so much....well, knit!

How would I wear this trend? Probably knit leggings, a silky tunic, and a chunky knit sweater.

Period Pieces


Exposed boning ala the classic corset, bustiers meant to be seen, victorian ruffled collars, and sumptuous brocade. Need I say more? I'm always a happy little fashionista when I see historical trends merging with modern silhouettes.

Does this mean I can finally wear a ballgown to work? (I do own one.....)

Art as Fashion


The runway was awash with Monet-esque water color prints and screenprinted renditions of classical art pieces. A little like wearing the Mona Lisa's face on your A-line midi skirt. I'm here for it.

To be honest, this is a look that I've admired since my Lolita days, when many Gothic and Classic Lolita pieces would be adorned with some sort of historical artwork. See examples here and here.

Viva La Animal Prints


If you're not here for animal prints, get off my ship because we are sailing full steam ahead. And I'm not the only one who is apparently ecstatic that animal prints are hanging in for another year - they've been all over the runway again. Surprisingly, it is snakeskin that is getting some much deserved love.

I already have a lot of leopard pieces in my wardrobe, but I could use a little more scaly representation so this is one I'll be keeping my eye on for sure.



Comments

  1. I'm a big fan of all these trends! Actually, I'm a big fan of almost all the trends that have been happening in 2019.

    Kathrin | Polar Bear Style

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pistachio and the period pieces. It's so unexpected, but when done right can look outstanding!

    K A T E L A T E L Y //
    http://www.katelately.co/30x30-october-challenge/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts