Basic Bitch: Does it have a Goth equivalent?

Unless you live under a rock (hey, I'm not judging!) you've probably already heard the term "basic bitch" being bandied about. But what is it, exactly?

1. Have you seen Mean Girls? They wear pink on Wednesday's, you know. Basic Bitch.
2. In line at Starbucks, group of girls are instagramming their Pumpkin Spice Lattes. Basic Bitch.
3. Lauren Conrad, and anyone who adores or tries to emulate her. Totally basic.
4. Some of Youtube's most popular beauty gurus are basic bitches - Bethany Mota, Evelina, Michelle Phan, etc.
5. That girl you knew in college who always wore her UGG boots with Victoria's Secret Pink sweatpants and had ZERO personality - that's your basic bitch.



So I got to thinking: is there some kind of equivalent to the basic bitch in the Goth scene? There is and I call it: The Natural Goth. For this person, Goth is the end all, be all of their being - everything about them is Goth. Stereotypically or not.

It's kind of related to the Gothier-than-thou type, but not quite. For the Natural Goth it isn't about being more Goth than someone else, but making sure they're Goth Enough for everyone in the scene.

Do you know someone like this? Were you someone like this back in the day?

How do you recognize the Natural Goth:

 Their tumblr is full of strobe light gifs of horror movie scenes or candles blowing out.

 They constantly complain about how Hot Topic used to be so Goth and what happened?

 They hiss at basic bitches they pass in the street - because it makes them seem so scary!

 All black. Everyday. Black hair. Black eyeballs. Black lips and teeth....the more, the better.

 Constantly telling everyone how Goth they are because they listen to *insert goth band name here* all the time

 They're always telling others how the Goth scene got started, like they were there back in the day.

 They subscribe to some alternative religion, like Wicca or Satanism, for more Goth cred. Jesus Christ is too mainstream, after all.

 They only read "Goth" friendly books or magazines. Same goes for television and movies.

 You never see them in anything other than Whitby Goth worthy style. All Goth all the time. Even if it's 90+ degrees outside.




I'm not saying that being a Natural Goth is a bad thing - it's totally fine if this is just how a person is, naturally. It can be a little annoying sometimes, just like the basic bitch, but essentially they serve as avatars for the community and as long as they're taking it seriously and not parading around like a Mall Goth, then what's the issue?

Disclaimer: The post was purely for fun, not meant to be offensive. If we can't poke at and laugh at each other once in a while, we're a really gloomy bunch. 

Comments

  1. lol you had me there. I thought you were being for real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know what this basic bitch thing was, maybe I am either in too old an age group or they don't use it in Australia. I would probably think that someone was just insulting me and calling me a bitch if they said that to me.

    I get what you mean, I used to worry too much about what others thought, if I fitted an image, now I don't care anymore. There are some snobby people out there who hold you to their standards, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, I didn't know what a basic bitch was either :-/

      Delete
  3. LOL this was a fun read. Thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I was starting to think oh, come on can't we all get along until I read "Black hair. Black eyeballs. Black lips and teeth....". Then I snorted :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admit to living under a rock and having no experience of this "basic bitch" term.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I lived in a town full of those basic bitches and was the other stereotype, the odd looner. So I actually lived back in the day the old school goth bands sometimes even were played on commercial radio, and too old to care about how ungoth some are or goth, whatever, it's a youth thing. They get over it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quotes the line "I myself am strange and unusual" from Beetlejuice makes you a basic goth bitch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well aware of it, friend, even though it's been years since I made this post and I don't consider myself a Goth at all anymore. I also don't think there's anything wrong with being "basic" if you're happy with who you are!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts