❅ Hygge All The Way ❅

Hygge - A quality of coziness and comfortable conviviality that engenders a feeling of contentment or well-being




For me, the winter holidays have always been associated with the blistering cold of MN, feet upon feet of crisp white snow, and the same strands of multicolored twinkling Christmas lights that have adorned the family (faux) tree for decades. How do string lights even last that long?! 


This year I want to aim for something a little cozier and softer - drawing upon the Scandinavian concept of "hygge" - to create a winter nest in my apartment that will serve as a retreat from the harsh realities of office work and public transit on snow-covered city streets. 


So, I have a couple of ideas for how to make that happen and I'm slowly implementing them as I have time and funds. 





1.) One thing I'd really like to incorporate into my winter decor are piles upon piles of soft, plush throw blankets and faux fur rugs draping everything. I want to be able to walk across my living room without feeling the chill of the wood floor beneath my bare feet. 



2.) String lights, mostly of the soft white variety, are something I want string up across my ceiling and my windows and drape over my TV stand as well. I just adore these little star shaped lights and I'd love to find a cheap set somewhere...



3.) Candles....so many candles. Pillar candles. Votive candles. Tea lights. I'm looking for mostly unscented white ones with a few gold and silver mixed in. Vanilla or cinnamon scented is acceptable.



4.) Instead of opting for a full-size (always artificial, mind you) holiday tree, I'm in the market for a smaller tree. I think a 2 or 3 foot tree would be perfect for the apartment that I have and I could easily place it in a shelf or coffee table that way. If I can find one that comes prelit with twinkly white lights, I'll be a happy camper but you never know...



5.) Cute and rustic looking decorations are all over Target right now, so I might take advantage of their stock once I acquire that minuscule holiday tree. Anything lined with faux fur or hand stitching is especially cute - I just wish I had the time and resources to make my own. One day! 


6.) Instead of the bright green or red holiday stockings made of crushed velvet, I'd love to track down a couple chunky knit holiday stockings. Wouldn't these look especially cute with little tulle wrapped trinkets and brown paper gifts sticking out?
Honorable mentions: sprigs of holly and pine, fluffy tinsel garland, glittering twigs in a tall glass vase, and cute coasters to accompany fun winter-themed coffee mugs. 


❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄


How do you decorate your home for the holidays? Do you stick with a theme each year or change it up? Do you prefer new decor, antiques, or family hand-me-down items? Tell me all it in the comments below! 



All photos courtesy of a quick Google search. I own nothing.



Comments

Popular Posts