Post-Workout Sandwiches

So there's a bit of science behind what we're supposed to eat after a workout: You can read a bit more here at The Everygirl. I've been completely ignorant of that science since I started working out, but I'm also pretty good at listening to my body and knowing what it needs. So when I discovered that carbs, protein, and some fats are important things to replenish immediately after working out - I had an AHA! moment.



I like sandwiches. I'm almost addicted to them. They're so easy and quick to make and the combinations are almost endless. As long as it fits between two slices of bread (or lettuce for an 'Unwich') it works.

So here are some of my favorite sandwich combinations for a post-workout pick me up:

1.) BLT



This one's pretty straight-forward but there are definitely ways to make it healthier. Swap out your white bread for a good whole grain (I love oat bread!) and ditch the mayo for avocado instead. If bacon isn't your thing - there are some lovely turkey bacon options out there!

2.) Ham & Swiss



A good Black Forest Ham and a slice of Swiss cheese is a combo I probably wouldn't turn down. Layer on the lettuce, tomato, and cucumber - the slap it all between two slices of Rye.

3.) Chicken or Tuna Salad



If processed meats aren't your jam (I try to avoid them, too) a good chicken or tuna salad might be up your alley. I use an olive oil based mayo and a ton of fun spices to make mine. You can also add in chopped onion or celery. I layer that on whole grain bread with a slice of Havarti and some arugula lettuce. Yum!

4.) The Banh Mi



This is one I'd sooner buy than make, but simply because the prep time for all the fixings can be intense. Start off with a French baguette, sliced lengthwise. If you want to be traditional, spread some chicken liver paste on the bottom slice - if not, mayo will do. Then add your protein: broiled chicken, marinated pork, slices of steak, etc. And finally pile on your veggies - cucumber slices, pickled carrot and daikon, onions, cilantro leaves and jalapeno slices.

It's packed with flavor.

5.) Italian Beef Sandwich



Probably another good option to pick up on your way home from the gym, this tasty sandwich is packed with shredded beef, cooked peppers, and mozzarella cheese on Italian bread. If you have these things lying around, it's a pretty easy home fix, too!

6.) Egg Salad



Do you have some eggs in your fridge? Then get to hard-boiling! The good news is that egg salad is easily one of those make ahead kind of fixings. Dice up your hard-boiled eggs, mix with mayo and mustard, (I like to add in some dill for flavor) and some chopped up veggies. Then slop it all between two slices of your favorite bread.

7.) PB & Banana



If you're the type to work out in the morning, this one's for you because it can double as breakfast. And it's simple - just peanut butter spread on two slices of toast with diced up banana in the middle. Maybe you can get creative and add something else to it? Bacon? Honey? Wait...then it becomes The Elvis.....

What are your favorite sandwiches combinations? Do you have a particular type of bread that you like? What veggies do you LOVE placed between slices?


Comments

  1. These look delicious! It's been such a long time since I made myself a sandwich other than just melted cheese on bread. You've inspired me to start getting more creative again...

    Kathrin | Polar Bear Style

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts