Weekly Food For Thought: On Being Nonbinary, Networking Fears, and Defying French Beauty Standards


Like most women, I struggled with body image. Then I realized I wasn't a woman.  This article over on The Tempest really spoke to me. I too struggle with a disconnect from my own body, but being able to identify my inner-gender helped me to either make peace with the body I have or start making plans to change the things that truly cause me distress. Like having breasts. 

How to Get Over Your Fear of Networking - this recent post from The Everygirl reminds us that we all find networking kind of scary, but it can be especially overwhelming for us introverts. The tips provided here are great for breaking it down in much more easily digestible (and less frightening) tactics.

Remember Skrillex? This greasy-haired hipster kid brought dubstep and other forms of EDM to mainstream attention and now he's back with a new soundtrack aimed at making your next workout even more intense. I still like Deadmau5 but I'm not sure if I want to give Skrillex 2.0 a go or not.

Jelly Nails are the new summer beauty trend -  and people are loving how 90's they are. Similar to the jelly sandals, these nails are mostly transparent and come in glittery or neon hues. I love a good bit of nostalgia as much as anyone, but I think I'll pass on these.

Amazon Boycott unites workers, gamers, and shoppers for Prime Day protest: If you're still happy as a clam about your Amazon Prime Day deals in the face of worker strikes and walkouts, poor working conditions in the warehouses that are shipping your 50% off jade rollers, and Jeff Bezos' very existence on this planet - congratulations! You are really effing privileged. 

Instead of buying everything off Amazon and buying their CEO (probably) another yacht - consider supporting smaller and local businesses. Y'know, the ones that Amazon is literally trying to eat up or buy out? Just a thought.

The idea of the "french girl" as a beauty and style icon in inescapable. For Bastille Day this year, Glamour is featuring 10 French beauty bloggers who defy the thin, white, Briggite Bardot stereotype! And they're beautiful - clearly that je na sais quoi is the differences that set them apart from each other.


What interesting news stories have you come across this week? Share with us in the comments!

Comments

  1. My husband loves Skrillex. I'll definitely have to tell him about this. Great articles as always.

    Kathrin | Polar Bear Style

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts