What to Wear to an Interview: Creative Edition



Let me preface: It's been a while since I've been to a job interview and the last time I interviewed it was for an Admin Assistant position. How you dress for a formal office role can easily differ from how you might dress for a more creative role - like digital marketing or social media management.

On Friday, I have an interview in downtown St Paul for an entry-level 'marketing communications' job and I'm . . . for lack of a better word - scrambling.

I don't own a pair of simple black trousers or a dress suit. My one black blazer (as you will see) is a little finicky and hard to coordinate. And I do not have a single pair of weather appropriate shoes that would not look horrendously out of place in a corporate environment.

(With regards to weather appropriateness - we just got another 8 inches of snow today. Ewww.)

So, I decided to scour my wardrobe to see what I could put together that would not only be interview appropriate but also fit the role of a creative job title.

Outfit #1:

It's been over a year since I've worn this slate grey striped wrap skirt, so I decided to pair it with some black tights (because winter) and my roommate's dark burgundy button down. To play up the light colored buttons on the shirt, I added a pair of faux suede boots and a Nine West bag in tan shades.



Outfit #2:

This look screams a little more "art director" and a little less "I play on social media all day" but it is both warm and conservative as far as professional outfits go. A black and grey damask printed turtleneck sits underneath my long black blazer, and a pair of cropped grey pants with a Han Solo stripe down the side is a look that could be worn with heels, flats, or maybe a cute ankle boot. I was undecided at the time.



Outfit #3:

I have a soft spot for pencil skirts and tweed - in another life I'm sure I was a librarian and that's precisely what this look speaks to. A burgundy pencil skirt cinches in this outfit with a cream button down and grayish-brown teed blazer. A pair of cream heels ties it all together - but adding a locket or other dainty jewelry would create a nice vintage touch.



After trying all three outfits on, I think I'm definitely leaning more towards the female Professor Indiana Jones vibe - but why don't you weigh in and tell me your thoughts! Of these three interview outfits, please let me know in the comments which one you think I should wear.



I'll announce the results on Friday morning with a pic of my actual interview outfit. Stay tuned! 

Comments

  1. Hey all, if you want to see what I ended up wearing, check out my Twitter post! Feel free to follow me if you have an account - I'd love to connect with you!

    https://twitter.com/OnTh3Cusp/status/1098992160375037953

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts