DermaSuction Review: Can You Really Vacuum Out Your Pores?


When my roommate first picked up this pore extracting device from Target, courtesy of the "As Seen on TV" section - I thought there was no way this thing could be as effective as the advertising claims.

And I'm certainly not the first person to review this little gadget; see here, here and here.

But after last year's harsh winter and the horrible start 2019 has gotten off to (we're talking losing a job, engaging in seven hour depression naps, and overall forgetting what food and showers are) my skin is in pretty rough condition. Clogged up, even.

So what is the DermaSuction? According to their website, it is a powerful, yet gentle vacuum that you can use anywhere on your face or body to suck out gunk trapped in your pores. The demo videos promise a lot of satisfyingly gross results - on par with the nasty that is Dr. Pimple Popper.



So, after watching the demos and clicking through a couple of reviews, I decided to give this thing a try myself:

1. First things first, you wanna start with clean skin. So I went ahead and used my favorite cleanser from The Creme Shop. This product lathers up really nicely and gives you a deep clean without drying out the skin.

2. Next, and this is crucial, I put a warm, wet cloth over my face to steam open my pores and soften up any gunk that might be hiding in them. (This is the step that most of these reviewers skipped and I think it makes a seriously notable difference.)


3. Across my forehead and cheeks, I used the large head attachment in long, sweeping motions across my face. The trick is to keep the device moving, without using back and forth motions and never stopping for more than 2-seconds in one area. (Your skin will bruise, apparently.)

4. I used the small head attachment around my nose and mouth area. I kept the setting on low suction because honestly the high suction scared the crap out of me. I didn't see any noticeable gunk on or around the attachment though.


5. After I'd vacuumed up my entire face (it took a while to get the hang of the angle to ensuring good suction) I remove the attachment and rinsed it with hot water. That's when I noticed the little sponge thing underneath - that's the filter. That's what catches most of the smaller debris - so I took it out and cleaned it with hand soap. There were a lot of little black spots on it....


The Results

Afterwards, my skin was red! But I'm assured that this is normal for most esthetician and dermatology treatment sessions, so I wasn't concerned. After putting on some hydrating serums and a sheet mask, I was good as new.

Final thoughts: Does this thing actually work? I want to say yes, but you really do need to make sure that your skin is clean and steamed to see any results. After using the DermaSuction my face did feel a lot smoother and cleaner. My pores didn't look as big or obvious either.

As with all beauty tools and products, what works for some may not work for others.

✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰

Have you ever tried any kind of beauty device or tool that seemed dubious? How did it work out for you?

Comments

Popular Posts